Sunday, July 16, 2017

Star Vs The Forces Of Evil The Battle For Mewni Review


Warning. This review will contain spoilers.I'm a big fan of western animation (Movies and tv shows), but when I first heard about Star Vs The Forces Of Evil and saw some clips of the show, I had no interest in seeing it because it looked too cutesy for me and I thought the main character (Star Butterfly) would get on my nerves. However, last summer a friend of mine convinced me to give the show a chance. So I quickly got through season 1 and the first few episodes of season 2 and I've been a huge fan of the show since.So when Disney announced that the season 3 premiere would be a special movie event, I got really excited. Did it live up to the hype?In my opinion, yes.PositivesOne of the biggest surprises I got from this episode is how much I liked Queen Moon. She's great in this movie. We get to see some of her past, find out that Toffee killed her mother, how she met King River, and see her defeat Toffee by blasting off his finger. I also really appreciated how the writers had her and Star bond for a lot of this movie and develop their relationship.Once again, Star has proven herself to be a great lead character. She's adorable, sweet, funny, strong, knows how to fight, is protective of her loved ones, and and is a rebel. We also get to see her develop more in this film. Star biggest flaw in the first 2 seasons was that most of the time, she ran away from her problems instead of facing them. Not really the case here.Most fans of the show love the bond between Star and Marco. It's really sweet and genuine and doesn't feel overly sappy. Daron Nefcy has done a fantastic job portraying their bond so when the 2 of them finally reunite and hug after Starcrushed's sad ending, it's really sweet and you can help but smile.The animation is pretty good. It's not groundbreaking or anything like that, but it's still really good and it fits the show.I really liked the way they introduced Queen Eclipsa. Her role isn't huge, but it's well done and sets up great things to come in season 3.I've always liked Toffee as a villain But here, he's truly awesome and menacing. He's incredibly smart and evil and Michael C Hall kills it.All the voice acting is great, especially Eden Sher as Star Butterfly. Her line delivery is amazing and she's great and believable in both the funny and heartbreaking scenes. I know she recently said in an interview that she felt like her voice acting was a little stiff in the first few episodes of the show. I disagree with that, but I do agree that her performance has gotten better.I originally didn't want Ludo to redeem himself, but this movie has changed my mind. I really liked the way Ludo was handled in this special and it sets up a potentially great redemption story for season 3.One of the best scenes in the film is a scene where Moon and Buff Frog are playing a board game and get into an argument about mewmans or monsters being dangerous and evil and ultimately realize that both species are just trying to portray their kids. Very emotionally powerful.The "death" of Star is handled very well and very emotional (Especially when Moon and Marco try to kill Toffee as revenge).NegativesI really liked the first scene in the film that showed how depressed Marco was after Star left, but once he came into the Butterfly Castle and helped River, he seemed to have gotten over it pretty quickly. Also, Marco still has his dimensional scissors from Running With Scissors, so why didn't he immediately use them to go to Mewni to find Star and say goodbye to Jackie?While Star turning into a golden butterfly and killing Toffee by blasting him was awesome (And disturbing for i kids cartoon), it felt very quick and sudden and I would've liked to have seen a little battle between the two. Also, while I think Toffee will return, if he actually is dead, it would be a waste of a great villain.I felt that the ending needed to be a bit longer and show Moon and River ruling Mewni again and allow Marco to live with them and Star.Overall, The Battle For Mewni is a lot of fun and very emotional at times. If you've never seen the show, you probably won't appreciate it as much as I do, but if you are a fan, you'll probably love it.I give The Battle For Mewni a 4/5.What are your thoughts on the film/special? Comment and let me know. Thanks. via /r/movies http://ift.tt/2upEOLj

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts